I write first as a Ghanaian, then as a colleague of Alan Kyerematen. I write this opinion piece to express my support for his candidacy as the flagbearer of the New Patriotic Party (NPP). I have had the privilege of working with Alan at an agency of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, where I witnessed firsthand his unwavering commitment to public service and his exceptional leadership skills.
Alan Kyerematen is a visionary leader who has a deep understanding of the challenges facing Ghana and the potential solutions to these problems. He has a long and distinguished record of public service, having served in various capacities, including serving as a Minister for Trade and Industry in two administrations leading the Private Sector Development (PSD) and the Presidential Special Initiatives (PSI), under the President Kufuor-led NPP government, an Ambassador of Ghana to the United States, as well as serving as a trade advisor at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, where he coordinated the African Trade Policy Centre (ATPC). Throughout his career, Alan has demonstrated his ability to tackle complex economic issues and implement policies that have a positive impact on the lives of Ghanaians.
Today, it is no secret what difficulty our country faces; with the current economic crisis in Ghana, the country is facing numerous challenges, including high inflation, a widening budget deficit, and a struggling currency.
…And if it were ‘business-as-usual’ it may seem just as easy, to promise a miraculous turn-around for the economy without some real work to be put into the talk.
From what I have come to learn from this man, he promises nothing without applying an almost radical technical analysis; diagnosing existing challenges, and prescribing efficient measures to tackle them. The Great Transformational Plan he proposes is nothing short of what the country requires for a turn-around. They are comprehensive solutions meant to tackle the root causes of these economic challenges we face to improve the competitiveness of the country’s economy, attract foreign investment, and create jobs for Ghanaians.
My fellow citizens, allow me to share with you why I believe Alan Kyerematen stands out as the most promising candidate to lead our party and our country.
• Comprehensive Vision: Alan’s Great Transformational Plan (GTP), aims to establish a robust macroeconomic environment and drive a new agricultural revolution (NAR) for the nation. It also focuses on industrial transformation, digital integration, energy security and diversification, decarbonization, and climate resilience. The plan indicates a deep understanding of the challenges facing Ghana and proposes a SMART vision for addressing them. This plan is meant to tackle the root causes of the current economic crisis, improve the competitiveness of our economy, and create opportunities for all Ghanaians.
• Experience and Expertise: Alan has a long and distinguished record of public service, having served in various capacities both national and private. His experience and expertise coupled with his sheer determination to transform the Ghanaian economy is one I strongly stand behind.
• Partnership, Collaboration, and Ability to Bring People Together: Alan has a proven track record of working with stakeholders from different backgrounds and perspectives, including government officials, private sector leaders, the international community, and members of civil society. He brings people together to solve problems and create opportunities, which is essential in today’s highly polarized political environment.
• Passion for Public Service: Alan is driven by a deep passion for public service and a commitment to making a positive difference in the lives of Ghanaians. He has dedicated his life to serving our country and has a clear understanding of what means to, first be a citizen, and the knowledge of what is required, to transform the life of one. This I believe is what is needed to bring about the positive change we desire.
• A Renewed Party and Country: Alan’s candidacy represents a renewed commitment to the values and principles of the NPP, and a renewed hope for a better future for Ghana. A vote for Alan is a vote for a renewed party and a renewed country, one that is more inclusive, more competitive, and more prosperous for all.
My concluding message to YOU is this, your frustration is valid. In these challenging times, I come to you today not as a politician, but as a concerned citizen, just like every one of you. I understand the frustration and disappointment that many of us feel in the face of the current economic crisis.
But let us not forget, that while this may be so, there is no better time than now to identify and partner with a candidate, who has demonstrated through actions and through this GREAT TRANSFORMATIONAL PLAN, an uncanny understanding, that values our collective efforts, views YOU as a partner to transformation, and is committed to working alongside YOU to transform our economy.
So, I call on you, my fellow citizens, to seize this moment as the turning point we have all so long desired; Come join us on this journey of TRANSFORMATION.
Gifty Kekeli Klenam.